There is vast evidence to support the need for more midwife specialists in South Africa and the world. In 1988, well-known midwife Sister Lilian started an independent midwifery practice in Pretoria – it soon grew into the Sister Lilian Centre (now a PTY LTD company) as the practice became known for its integrity and ‘with nature, knowledge and experience’ approach. Advice and care that could be trusted was the constant mission.
In 1996, the Sister Lilian Centre launched its Sensitive Midwifery division, devoted to the goal of improving midwifery care in South Africa, initially through its now renowned Sensitive Midwifery Symposium and from 2008 with the acclaimed Sensitive Midwifery Magazine. Soon Sensitive Midwifery proved to be unique in the extent of its expertise and practical experience of physiological, woman-centred maternity care. Sensitive Midwifery® Academy was started to house the various teaching initiatives and is proud to now offer this new Certified Sensitive Midwife Course. The course will be pioneered in the Eastern Cape in 2019 and then rolled out in the rest of South Africa from 2020.
REASONS TO DO THE CERTIFIED SENSITIVE MIDWIFE COURSE
- Current and future nurse-midwife training doesn’t yield midwives experienced or knowledgeable enough to be confident practitioners in any sphere of midwifery’s scope of practice, including antenatal, labour and birth, postnatal, and Mom and Baby care in the first six months
- Advanced midwifery does not suitably address the expert but ‘basic’ midwifery skills that make for the safest, most satisfying experience of labour and birth for women
- There is no qualification that recognises and teaches the profound value or the positive outcomes of being an authentic midwifery specialist
EXTENT OF THE CERTIFIED SENSITIVE MIDWIFE COURSE
- Spans midwifery care in pregnancy, labour, birth, postnatally, and up to six months after birth
- Revisits basics of midwifery but concentrates on evidence-based, physiological, ‘natural’ midwifery care throughout
- Explains the difference between clear midwifery scope of practice and ‘grey’ areas where referral to an obstetrician or interventive unit might or might not become necessary, ensuring proficiency of students to differentiate and cope with each scenario
- Refreshes students’ knowledge of and expertise in dealing with a wide range of complicated pregnancy, birth and postnatal scenarios
WHO SHOULD DO THE CERTIFIED SENSITIVE MIDWIFE COURSE?
The course is applicable to all basic-trained nurse-midwives working in any sector (independent practice, private and public hospitals, educational institutions; government sector), whether in the antenatal, intrapartum, postnatal, or parenting advisory field.
STRUCTURE OF THE CERTIFIED SENSITIVE MIDWIFE COURSE
- Five full-day tutoring modules with Sensitive Midwifery lecturers, held roughly once a month over five months (including video teaching, demonstrations and group discussions)
- Course material for each module, and further material to read and work through at home
- Per module project work applicable to each student’s current or intended field
- A Sensitive Midwifery Academy graduation and certification event within one month of completion of the final full-day tutoring session
COST OF THE CERTIFIED SENSITIVE MIDWIFE COURSE *This course fee will escalate from 2020.
The course is being run for the first time in the Eastern Cape province of South Africa in 2019 at the very special rate of R 2 500.00 (incl VAT)* per student (for a minimum of 10 students).
2019 EASTERN CAPE CERTIFIED SENSITIVE MIDWIFE COURSE DATES
The full-day tutoring sessions will be held in Port Elizabeth at a venue to be confirmed.
Session 1: Friday 15 February 2019 Session 2: Friday 15 March 2019
Session 3: Friday 12 April 2019 Session 4: Friday 24 May 2019
Session 5: Friday 12 July 2019 Graduation: Friday 02 August 2019
BRIEF OUTLINE OF THE CERTIFIED SENSITIVE MIDWIFE COURSE CONTENT
MODULE ONE: Holistic preconceptual and antenatal education, care, and risk detection and management
MODULE TWO: An in-depth study of physiological labour and birth, and risk detection and management
MODULE THREE: Midwifery management of adverse events and complications during pregnancy, labour and birth (up to six hours post-birth)
MODULE FOUR: Holistic postnatal mother and baby hospital and home care, breastfeeding support, and risk detection and management (from six hours to six weeks post-birth)
MODULE FIVE: Holistic clinic and independent practice education, support and care of the mother and baby (from six weeks to six months post-birth)
If you’d like to register for the Certified Sensitive Midwife Course, send an email to email@example.com and detailed information will be sent to you.